This is one of the oldest houses on the peninsula. It is believed to have been originally built by Joshua Smalley on what is now States Point Rd, sometime around 1740.
The house was moved circa 1850 to the main road (131) just South of Seavey Cove. Steve bought it and moved it again in 2019 to its current location three miles away.
Steve's given it a new foundation and basement and a new roof. The double fireplace was dismantled before the move and rebuilt using the original stone. It's an amazing sight.
We were brought on board to address the doors and windows.
We don't believe we have original doors but we have a mid-nineteenth century six panel door for the front and Steve had new sashes built of mahogany. The difficulty is that they all need new framing and casing.
Up front, we've replaced the floor and subfloor in the entryway using hand-smoothed boards from upstairs. We've also built a new threshold for the front door, which is currently under the knife getting squared up.
We've built the back door from scratch:a double-boarded slab made of rough white cedar and held with clinched nails. We also fabricated the jambs and threshold.
We reconditioned the front door and fabricated an oak threshold and wraparound hemlock jambs to allow for the transom lights.
We are hoping to be able to stay with the project all the way through but are certainly grateful to be able to do the doors and windows.
Details, of course, to follow.
Looks small in this photo but it's almost four feet by seven.
The subfloor in the entryway was dangerously rotted and the flooring was a relatively modern 80-100 years old. We pulled them both out and replaced them using wood from upstairs.